Tuesday, November 22, 2011

creative writing workshop practice

so then here's a dry run to continue with the story of that boy
p.s. this is totally a random paragraph not necessarily in linear form

The rich aromas of cardamon, coriander,tamarind, cumin, saffron, turmeric and various other spices greeted my nostrils. I was just about to turn the leaf of the latest book I borrowed from the library, Robinson Crusoe. My mother was definitely a good cook, it saddened me that she always got berated by the monster for her cooking. It was obvious that his taste buds were paralyzed due the amount of alcohol he guzzled down each day, for he couldn't appreciate her cooking. I was thinking to myself what curry mother would dish out for dinner when she called, "Boy, come and eat!"

As I quickened my pace to mother, eager to gobble up her delicious curry, my face fell. It was as though, someone had clicked delete on my smile when I saw the monster already at the dining table. Although I avoided looking at his face as I sat down, I could hear the clinking of ice cubes against his glass tumbler. No doubt containing amber liquid; either Jack Daniels or Johnny Walker, it never made a difference which bourbon he chose to drink. I didn't have to look at him to know he was full of drink. The pungent smell of whiskey assaulted my nostrils. I hated being near him. I hated the wrath that always accompanied that smell. I hated the monster with every fiber of my being. I know I was full of cliches, but that's what happens when one immerses themselves in many books.

"Eh boy, what you staring at? Faster eat, you waiting for who the PM to come is it?" he said.

"Boy, you want some more rice or not?" mother said, as she ladled the spoon of rice onto my plate which was already brimming with rice, fish curry, kankung, fried prawns and long beans.


"No thanks, this is quite enough," I said, as I looked into mother's face, and smiled at her.

"Hmph, hear how he talks. He thinks he's some English man lah, reading all those books. Can't get a grip of reality," he said.

Once again the smile slid off my face like water off a duck's back.It was precisely as he said. I couldn't get a grip of my reality. It wasn't fair that I , a 12 year old boy was to be saddled with an alcoholic father and a mother who couldn't even stand up for herself or let alone her only child for that matter. Books were my refuge. Books kept me sane. Books didn't hurt me like the monster nor disappoint me like mother. " What? You too good to answer me is it? You're too high and mighty to talk to your own father?" he said, his voice rising gradually, like the scales of a music key.

I refused to rise up to his rattle. Mutely, I spooned my food into my mouth with my fingers. In a nano-second my plate was on floor, my rice, prawns, and the likes scattered like marbles at me feet. Mother just kept on eating, her eyes glued to her plate, though I detected her forehead creased with tension. "If you're not going to answer me when I talk to you, you can get out of my sight and don't even dare bring food to your room. Understand or not?!" he said, as he took a long swig from his tumbler and stared daggers at me.

"Yes," is all I said, as I quickly cleaned up the mess he had made and bolted to my room. I saw Sergeant at the front door, wagging his tail, his face bright with excitement for me to go and play with him. I gave him a quick pat and smiled sadly at him. As much as I wanted to spend time with my faithful dog, I didn't want to be in an area where the monster was so close by. Reluctantly I left Sergeant and retreated to my room.

I tried to escape through the pages of Robinson Cruesoe, yet even that couldn't keep my mind from meandering to tonight's turn of events. It made me think about what those boys had offered me earlier in school. I was afraid to accept, for I didn't need that for escapism. I had my books. However, lately ,I couldn't deny that even my beloved books weren't doing their job of numbing the harsh blows of reality from the monster. Maybe it was time for a new alternative. Maybe it was time to explore different types of escapism.

so there you have it
i was only supposed to write 1 paragraph but it panned out to this
oh well

Arththi Sathananthar
A129086


No comments:

Post a Comment